Reminiscent of the S&W pacific ale, this is an easy drinking pale ale with a refreshing burst of citra hops. The Perfect easy drinking beer for a hot summer.
Morgans Blue Mountain Lager
300g Carapils malt grain
1kg Brew Booster
30g Amarillo (7.5%AAU)
30g Citra (15 % AAU)
30g Citra (15% AAU) – Optional for dry hopping.
Saf Ale Us-05 Yeast, or Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast
A day before preparing recipe place 10 litres of water in closed containers in a fridge and chill.
1. Steep grains for 10mins with 1 litre of hot tap water (not boiling), then pour through a sieve
into a large saucepan. Rinse through with another litre of hot water and discard grain.
2. Bring the 2 litres of water to a boil and add 30g Amarillo Hops, boil for 5 minutes.
3. Turn off heat and add 30g Citra Hops. Steep for 5mins.
4. Pour into a clean and sanitised fermenter and add Pilsner and Brew Booster. Stir vigorously until all is dissolved.
5. Add 10 litres of chilled water, and top up to 23 litres with either hot or cold water to adjust the
starting temperature as close as possible to 20°C.
6. Add yeast and ferment as close as possible to 20°C.
7. For additional hop aroma, after fermenting 3 days, add 30g Citra Dry Hops.
Tips for temperature control:
-Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
-Maintain a cool even temperature in the fermenter.
-Place the fermenter in a tray and wrap it in a blanket with an end in a container of water.
-Placing the fermenter on a concrete slab can also help to keep the temperature constant.
–Use a Brewing Thermostat and a fridge for optimum brewing conditions all year round.
Equipment needed for mead making:
– 4 Litre Pot
– Medium Funnel
– 2 x 5L Demijohns
– Bored Bung
– Solid Bung
-To make oak spirit use a 4-5 Litre wide neck glass jar, use around 200-300g of oak blocks or chips and 1 litre of vodka/neutral spirit. Soak for at least 14 days but the flavour intensifies the longer you leave the oak soaking. When ready, strain the oak out by passing it through filter wool in a funnel.