Originally from Mexico, Corona is now famous all over the world for its refreshing, crisp and smooth taste. It’s a great easy drinking beer and a standard at summer time parties. Garnish your Corona beer traditionally with a lime or lemon wedge to heighten the citrus aromas and flavours.
Lager based Fresh Wort kit
10g Styrian Goldings hops (steeped)
Bohemian Lager (WY2124) or 2x Saflager S23 lager yeast
1. Well in advance of preparing recipe, place 5 litres of water in a fridge and chill
2. In a coffee cup or bowl, add 10g of Styrian Goldings hops (ideally in a hop sock) and cover with boiling water. Allow to steep for 10 minutes.
3. Remove hop sock and pour hop tea into the fermenter.
4. Add the fresh wort to the fermenter, top up with cold water from the fridge to 23L at 15-18°C and stir vigorously for 5 minutes.
5. Add Bohemian Lager (WY2124) or 2x Saflager S23 lager yeast.
6. Seal fermenter and store in cool conditions, ideally 12°C for a crisp ‘Corona-style’ flavour
Tips for temperature control:
-Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
-Maintain a cool even temperature in the fermenter.
-Place the fermenter in a tray and wrap it in a blanket with an end in a container of water.
-Placing the fermenter on a concrete slab can also help to keep the temperature constant.
–Use a Brewing Thermostat and a fridge for optimum brewing conditions all year round.
Equipment needed for mead making:
– 4 Litre Pot
– Medium Funnel
– 2 x 5L Demijohns
– Bored Bung
– Solid Bung
-To make oak spirit use a 4-5 Litre wide neck glass jar, use around 200-300g of oak blocks or chips and 1 litre of vodka/neutral spirit. Soak for at least 14 days but the flavour intensifies the longer you leave the oak soaking. When ready, strain the oak out by passing it through filter wool in a funnel.