A hoppy, American styled wheat beer, with a combination of Galaxy and Citra hops expect a combination of passionfruit and citus flavours. Truly refreshing.
Wheat based Fresh Wort kit
300g Caramunich grain
20g Galaxy Hops (10 min boil)
20g Citra Hops (0 min boil)
20g Citra hops (dry hop)
American Ale Yeast (WY1056) or Safale US05
1. Well in advance of preparing recipe, place 5-10 litres of water in a fridge and chill
2. Strain the grain through a sieve into a saucepan. Rinse grain with another litre of hot water and discard the grain.
3. Bring grain wort (liquid) to the boil and simmer 20g of Galaxy hops in a boiling bag.
4. After 10 minutes, turn off the heat, add 20g Citra hops and allow to steep for 10 minutes.
5. Remove hop sock and pour wort into the fermenter. Add the fresh wort.
6. Top up with chilled and tap water to 20L at 20-25°C and stir vigorously for 5 minutes.
7. Add yeast, seal fermenter and store in cool conditions
8. On day 4 of fermentation, place 20g of Citra hops in a sanitised hop sock and hang in fermenter.
(If kegging, hang the hop sock in the keg after transferring the beer from the fermenter). Complete fermentation as normal.
Tips for temperature control:
-Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
-Maintain a cool even temperature in the fermenter.
-Place the fermenter in a tray and wrap it in a blanket with an end in a container of water.
-Placing the fermenter on a concrete slab can also help to keep the temperature constant.
–Use a Brewing Thermostat and a fridge for optimum brewing conditions all year round.
Equipment needed for mead making:
– 4 Litre Pot
– Medium Funnel
– 2 x 5L Demijohns
– Bored Bung
– Solid Bung
-To make oak spirit use a 4-5 Litre wide neck glass jar, use around 200-300g of oak blocks or chips and 1 litre of vodka/neutral spirit. Soak for at least 14 days but the flavour intensifies the longer you leave the oak soaking. When ready, strain the oak out by passing it through filter wool in a funnel.