Coffee, vanilla and chocolate flavours float upon a roasty stout base, yeah it’s that good.
Black Cat Fresh Wort
150g Brown Malt grain
150g Chocolate malt grain
15g Challenger Hops (steeped)
½ Cup of good ground coffee beans
1x Vanilla bean split lengthways
Ringwood Ale Yeast (WY1187) or Safale SO4
1. Well in advance of preparing recipe, place 5-10 litres of water in a fridge and chill
2. Place Grains in 1 litre of hot tap water and steep for 30 minutes.
3. Strain the grain through a sieve into a saucepan. Rinse grain with another litre of hot water into saucepan and discard grain.
4. Bring grain wort (liquid) to the boil, turn off the heat and add 15g of Challenger in a hop boiling bag. Steep for 10 minutes.
5. Add ground coffee beans and vanilla pod to a coffee plunger and cover with 500ml of boiling water. Steep for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, push plunger down .
6. Remove hop boiling bag and pour both grain/hop wort and coffee/vanilla tea into the fermenter. Add the fresh wort and top up with water (use some cold water if necessary from the fridge) to 20L at 20-25°C and stir vigorously for 5 minutes.
7. Add Ringwood Ale Yeast or Safale SO4, seal fermenter and store in cool conditions
Tips for temperature control:
-Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
-Maintain a cool even temperature in the fermenter.
-Place the fermenter in a tray and wrap it in a blanket with an end in a container of water.
-Placing the fermenter on a concrete slab can also help to keep the temperature constant.
–Use a Brewing Thermostat and a fridge for optimum brewing conditions all year round.
Equipment needed for mead making:
– 4 Litre Pot
– Medium Funnel
– 2 x 5L Demijohns
– Bored Bung
– Solid Bung
-To make oak spirit use a 4-5 Litre wide neck glass jar, use around 200-300g of oak blocks or chips and 1 litre of vodka/neutral spirit. Soak for at least 14 days but the flavour intensifies the longer you leave the oak soaking. When ready, strain the oak out by passing it through filter wool in a funnel.