This american-style Pale Ale began as a Varietal Series but it proved so popular that it is now part of the core James Squire craft beer range. Hop Thief 7 is a beautifully balanced blend of galaxy and mosaic hops that delivers fresh citrus and tropical fruit aromas while retaining subtle earth characteristics and the firm malt backbone.
Morgan’s Royal Oak Amber Ale
300g Caramalt grain
15g Mosaic Hops (10min)
15g Galaxy Hops (10min)
15g Mosaic Hops (Dry Hop)
15g Galaxy Hops (Dry Hop)
US 05 Safale Yeast
1. A day before preparing recipe place 5 litres of water in closed containers in a fridge and chill.
2. Steep the Caramalt grain for 30min in 1 litre of hot tap water (not boiling).
3. Strain the grain through a sieve into to a large saucepan. Rinse grains with a further 500ml of hot water and collect in saucepan as well. Discard the grains.
4. Add another litre of water and the Ultrabrew, stir well and bring to the boil.
5. Add 15g of Mosaic and 15g Galaxy hops and simmer for 10 mins.
6. Pour the Amber ale tin into the fermenter and contents of the saucepan and stir well.
7. Top up to 23L with chilled and tap water to reach a starting temperature of 20-24°C, stirring vigorously to aerate the wort.
8. Add yeast and ferment as close as possible to 20°C.
9. On day 4 of fermentation open fermenter and add 15g of Mosaic and 15g Galaxy hops (preferably in a hop sock) into the fermenter and reseal, continue to ferment.
Bottle or keg beer when gravity is consistent over two days.
Tips for temperature control:
-Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
-Maintain a cool even temperature in the fermenter.
-Place the fermenter in a tray and wrap it in a blanket with an end in a container of water.
-Placing the fermenter on a concrete slab can also help to keep the temperature constant.
–Use a Brewing Thermostat and a fridge for optimum brewing conditions all year round.
Equipment needed for mead making:
– 4 Litre Pot
– Medium Funnel
– 2 x 5L Demijohns
– Bored Bung
– Solid Bung
-To make oak spirit use a 4-5 Litre wide neck glass jar, use around 200-300g of oak blocks or chips and 1 litre of vodka/neutral spirit. Soak for at least 14 days but the flavour intensifies the longer you leave the oak soaking. When ready, strain the oak out by passing it through filter wool in a funnel.