A Bavarian style Lager with intense fruity characters. A full and round palate with intense citrus and melon fruits with subtle pine flavours.
Lager based Fresh Wort kit
300g Caramunich Grain malt
15g Nelson Sauvin Hops (steep)
15g Nelson Sauvin Hops (dry hop)
Bohemian Lager (WY2124) or 2x Saflager S23 lager yeast
1. Well in advance of preparing recipe, place 5 litres of water in a fridge and chill
2. Place Caramunich grain in 1 litre of hot tap water and steep for 30 minutes.
3. Strain the grain through a sieve into a saucepan. Rinse grain with another litre of hot water and discard the grain.
4. Bring grain wort to the boil, turn off the heat and add 15g of Nelson Sauvin hops (ideally in a hop sock) and steep for 10 minutes.
5. Remove hop sock and pour wort into the fermenter. Add the fresh wort and top up with cold water from the fridge to 20L at 15-18°C. Stir vigorously for 5 minutes.
6. Add Bohemian Lager (WY2124) or 2x Saflager S23 lager yeast, seal fermenter and store in cool conditions, ideally 12°C
7. On Day 4 of fermentation, place 15g of Nelson Sauvin hops in a hop sock and hang in fermenter. (If kegging, hang the hop sock in the keg after transferring the finished beer from the fermenter)
Tips for temperature control:
-Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
-Maintain a cool even temperature in the fermenter.
-Place the fermenter in a tray and wrap it in a blanket with an end in a container of water.
-Placing the fermenter on a concrete slab can also help to keep the temperature constant.
–Use a Brewing Thermostat and a fridge for optimum brewing conditions all year round.
Equipment needed for mead making:
– 4 Litre Pot
– Medium Funnel
– 2 x 5L Demijohns
– Bored Bung
– Solid Bung
-To make oak spirit use a 4-5 Litre wide neck glass jar, use around 200-300g of oak blocks or chips and 1 litre of vodka/neutral spirit. Soak for at least 14 days but the flavour intensifies the longer you leave the oak soaking. When ready, strain the oak out by passing it through filter wool in a funnel.