This tasty smoked almonds recipe is a classic all time favourite, perfect for everyday snacking. Oven roasted to perfection that produces that characteristically mellow, dark smokey flavour.
1 egg white
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
3 cups whole unblanched almonds
1. Preheat oven to 180c, spread out almonds on a tray and place in oven for 5min approx. DO NOT LET ALMONDS BURN.
2. Remove and allow to cool.
3. Whisk egg white in a bowl until stiff peaks form, add garlic powder, celery salt, salt and liquid smoke, stir until well mixed.
4. Stir in almonds making sure they are well coated in the mixture.
5. Spread out almonds on a tray lined with baking paper and place back in oven for 30min at 150c, rotate almonds every 10mins to ensure an even roasting.
6. *optional – After roasting, remove from oven and cool. Lightly coat almonds with oil and sprinkle with some more salt, stir so almonds are evenly covered.
Tips for temperature control:
-Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
-Maintain a cool even temperature in the fermenter.
-Place the fermenter in a tray and wrap it in a blanket with an end in a container of water.
-Placing the fermenter on a concrete slab can also help to keep the temperature constant.
–Use a Brewing Thermostat and a fridge for optimum brewing conditions all year round.
Equipment needed for mead making:
– 4 Litre Pot
– Medium Funnel
– 2 x 5L Demijohns
– Bored Bung
– Solid Bung
-To make oak spirit use a 4-5 Litre wide neck glass jar, use around 200-300g of oak blocks or chips and 1 litre of vodka/neutral spirit. Soak for at least 14 days but the flavour intensifies the longer you leave the oak soaking. When ready, strain the oak out by passing it through filter wool in a funnel.