An American Lager that tastes so good even Homer would approve! With a higher than average alcohol kick but a smooth easy drinking taste.
Lager based Fresh Wort kit
1kg Liquid Light Malt Extract
500g Carapils Grain malt
30g Tettnanger Hops (20 min boil)
30g Tettnanger Hops (0 min boil)
MJ M54 Californian Lager yeast
1. Well in advance of preparing recipe, place 5 litres of water in a fridge and chill
2. Place grain in 1.5 litres of hot tap water and steep for 20 minutes.
3. Strain the grain through a sieve into a saucepan. Rinse grain with another litre of hot water and discard the grain.
4. Bring grain wort to the boil and simmer 30g of Tettnanger hops in a boiling bag.
5. After 20 minutes turn off the heat, add 30g Tettnanger hops and allow to steep for 10 minutes.
6. Remove hop sock and pour wort into the fermenter. Add the Liquid Light Malt, Dextrose, and stir to dissolve. Add the fresh wort, top up with water (use some cold water if necessary from
the fridge) to 20L at 18-22°C and stir vigorously for 5 minutes.
7. Add the yeast, seal fermenter and store in cool conditions
Tips for temperature control:
-Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
-Maintain a cool even temperature in the fermenter.
-Place the fermenter in a tray and wrap it in a blanket with an end in a container of water.
-Placing the fermenter on a concrete slab can also help to keep the temperature constant.
–Use a Brewing Thermostat and a fridge for optimum brewing conditions all year round.
Equipment needed for mead making:
– 4 Litre Pot
– Medium Funnel
– 2 x 5L Demijohns
– Bored Bung
– Solid Bung
-To make oak spirit use a 4-5 Litre wide neck glass jar, use around 200-300g of oak blocks or chips and 1 litre of vodka/neutral spirit. Soak for at least 14 days but the flavour intensifies the longer you leave the oak soaking. When ready, strain the oak out by passing it through filter wool in a funnel.