A hop-forward Gluten-Free IPA, cool and refreshing like a sweet summer breeze, this beer has the the classic combination of Amarillo and Citra hops.
2.8Kg Sorghum Syrup
400g Raw Sugar
115g gluten free maltodextrine
15g Amarillo Hops – 60min
15g Amarillo Hops – 45min
15g Amarillo Hops – 15min
30g Citra Hops – 0min
1 tsp yeast nutrient
2 pkgs US-05 Yeast
1. The day before brewing chill 5 litres of water.
2. Bring 4 litres of water to boil, dissolve the sorghum syrup and raw sugar.
3. Return to boil and add 15g Amarillo Hops.
4. After 15 minutes add a another 15g of Amarillo hops.
5. After a further 30 minutes add another 15g of amarillo hops.
5. After 15 minutes add the Maltodextrin, 30g of Citra and turn off heat. Let sit for 5 minutes.
6. Pour wort into sanitised fermenter, top up to 23 Litres with chilled and/or tap water to achieve a temperature of 18-20°C.
7. Stir well to aerate wort, add yeast nutrient and pitch yeast. Ferment at 20°C.
Tips for temperature control:
-Use the chilled water to reach a satisfactory temperature and add yeast immediately.
-Maintain a cool even temperature in the fermenter.
-Place the fermenter in a tray and wrap it in a blanket with an end in a container of water.
-Placing the fermenter on a concrete slab can also help to keep the temperature constant.
–Use a Brewing Thermostat and a fridge for optimum brewing conditions all year round.
Equipment needed for mead making:
– 4 Litre Pot
– Medium Funnel
– 2 x 5L Demijohns
– Bored Bung
– Solid Bung
-To make oak spirit use a 4-5 Litre wide neck glass jar, use around 200-300g of oak blocks or chips and 1 litre of vodka/neutral spirit. Soak for at least 14 days but the flavour intensifies the longer you leave the oak soaking. When ready, strain the oak out by passing it through filter wool in a funnel.